Monday, February 14, 2011

Ocean Emotion!


Have you ever wondered what makes a person tick?  Why do they do certain things?  What drives a person to be a ________? 

Around COA, it's our passion for the ocean that drives us to Sandy Hook every day and motivates us to move a progressive ocean-protecting agenda.  While we celebrate Valentines Day at the office, we are also celebrating the one thing that unites us all--our love for the big blue!

We thought you might like to hear our stories too! 
Cindy Zipf (Executive Director)

The ocean is full of surprises, amazing creatures, and extraordinary bounty-- as well as being an endless source of oxygen, inspiration, and joy.  In short, what’s not to love?


Mary-Beth Thompson (Operations Director)


My connection to the ocean is an emotional one that elicits both my adventurous spirit, as well as an introspective peace and calmness. Watching my husband, sons, family, and friends surfing brings such joy! Walking along the water’s edge combing for shells and looking out at the expanse of the sea for dolphins, marine life, gulls, and birds is wondrous! Swimming with the variety of fish and sea life is a gift not to be taken for granted!

The beauty and energy of the ocean is as timeless as time itself: as John Masefield said at the turn of century,

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.



Tom Harris (Development)


I love the ocean because it represents endless possibilities; a place to dream while I’m still awake.

Emily Hackett (Events)


We have been in love since 1981.  We knew each other before I breathed air while in my own watery world.   Started going steady in 1982, I think it was when I accepted to wear its shells and commit to permanent sandy feet.  We went separate ways in 1999 for a short while when I was digging the Schuylkill River and increasing my familiarity with concrete (sort of sand but more tough).  Soon after, a southerner came to call, Savannah River held my heart for a while, but with the ocean 20 minutes away.  Then the Potomac came and went with visits to the big blue every chance I could.  Now, we are closer than ever - within minutes by foot and even closer by beach cruiser.  One thing is certain - everything leads to the ocean. 




Tavia Danch (Education)

I love the ocean because life is always better with sand between your toes, fresh air, and a shell in your pocket.

Meg Gardner (Citizen Action)


I have always loved the ocean.  I have many fond memories of seining off my grandparents’ beach on the Barnegat Bay as a little girl and being fascinated with the pipefish, seahorses, jellyfish, and crabs found in the net.  Since then, I have spent all of my vacations, recreation, internships, and schooling learning and participating in the marine environment.  There is nothing more powerful, mysterious, beautiful, or calming than the ocean and there has never been a doubt in my mind that this is the environment I want to work to protect for the rest of my life.  Happy Valentines Day to the Ocean!


Jennifer Thompson (Public Relations)


One of my favorite quotes is by Isak Dinesen.  She said, "The cure for anything is salt water--sweat, tears or the sea."  I find that to be true in my life--especially the sea.  


For me, the ocean is my inspiration, my solitude, my peace.  It's my morning meditation and my refuge after a challenging day.  There's nothing more awe-inspiring than driving to work along the shore, gazing out on the vast ocean and being reminded that there are endless possibilities in this life.   It's a reminder that I am just a small piece of this amazing and crazy world.  


Mother ocean has taught me about myself, which is why I love her the most.  While learning to surf her majestic waves, she's tossed me about, threw me under and had a hay-day treating me like a rag doll. Just when I'd thought I'd had enough and was tattered by salt and harsh waters, she'd send me a perfect wave that I mastered, and as I walked on water, I learned that there's nothing in life that I can't accomplish as so long as I keep my head above the waters.  


For a girl who was raised in the midwest, I now can't imagine living more than a stones-throw away from the ocean. How could I leave something that gives me personal development opportunities, meditation moments and endless hours of joy?  It's not possible. 


That's why I am passionate about my work--and why I'm at Clean Ocean Action.  I can't imagine a world without the luxury of enjoying the ocean--and want my children's children to know the same joy I do.  I have a passion for action.

 
Sean Dixon (Policy)


I love the ocean because when I was 5 and starting thinking that fish were incredibly fascinating, my mom did everything she could to help me learn more about the oceans, whales, beaches, and the marine environment, and eventually helped me go to college for marine biology.

 
Heather Saffert (Science)


To me - the ocean means freedom with its never-ending blue waters where the mind can escape and imagine.  The ocean is a place of wonder – where the impossible lives in the deep and new life continues to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment