Friday, August 23, 2013

A Heartwarming Internship Reflection from Boston University-Bound Gianna Fischer

Beach Sweeps Intern - Gianna Fischer

From Left to Right: International Intern Axelle Allain, Beach Sweeps
Intern Gianna Fischer, and COAST Intern Macailagh McCue out at sea!
"The closing of this week brings the end of my internship at Clean Ocean Action. My experience with COA these past 4 months has been beyond anything I could have imagined. My time here has not only provided me with an entirely new understanding of some of the issues that trouble coastal communities, but also with an entirely new network of remarkably dedicated and driven people who will continue to inspire me with their passion and intelligence for years to come.

I have had the pleasure of working with the data from this past April’s sweeps, gaining a greater understanding of the pollution that litters New Jersey beaches. I have also had the opportunity to attend a variety of events, such as COA’s bi-annual Student Summit, the annual Back to the Beach Event, press conferences (on the beach!) and environmental rallies.

One of the biggest projects I worked on this summer was the Corporate Beach Sweep Program. I worked with Chelsea and Zach to schedule and run Corporate Sweeps. Working with companies who were dedicated to bettering their communities was wonderful. The people that I met while working with the businesses inspired me to continue to work for a cleaner and better-protected ocean.

Perhaps the most valuable lesson I learned this summer is this: There is no community more closely knit than one who joins together to make the world a better place. My coworkers at Clean Ocean Action have taught me indispensible lessons and have made this internship an experience that I will never forget. I am honored to have worked with a group of such passionate and driven people for an organization that stands up for what is right, regardless of how daunting the fight."


Gianna will enter Boston University’s class of 2017 this fall as a Communications major and intends to pursue a second degree in Marine Biology.

No comments:

Post a Comment