Friday, August 16, 2013

Restore the Shore Intern Reflects on Her Experience with COA

Restore the Shore Intern - Jaime Frungillo

"Unfortunately, my internship with Clean Ocean Action has come to a close. My time spent here has allowed me to apply my background knowledge of marine sciences and research to current coastal issues present in New Jersey and New York.

Most of my work has focused on reviewing and analyzing NJDEP’s water quality data with respect to current and proposed EPA criteria as well as investigating the Floatables Action Plan implementation and reviewing EPA’s surveillance flights data. This work helped with my review of Rutgers University’s Barnegat Bay nutrient study. I have also helped with the 2012 Annual Review.

Through my help with writing scoping comments for the Draft EIS to be completed for Liberty’s proposed Liquefied Natural Gas Port, COA has taught me about liquefied natural gas and energy issues. Although I did not get to participate in many Corporate Sweeps, the two I participated in taught me about New York and New Jersey’s combined sewage system, the ecology and oceanography of the NY Bight, and the decomposition of different materials found on our beaches. The Corporate Sweeps present a great way to get involved with making our beaches cleaner while still learning about the environment. At every Corporate Sweep, I learned something new. It is a great outreach activity and I encourage everyone to get involved!

I am very grateful for the opportunity to have interned with Clean Ocean Action this summer and will bring more knowledge and experience with me back to school in the fall." 

Jaime will complete her Masters in Environmental Management at the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University In May 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment