Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Biologist Brings Her Knowledge to the COA Team

Catie Tobin - Quinnipiac University Class of 2013 - Ocean Advocacy and Education Fellow


My love for science far surpasses any set boundaries. Spending my summers at the Jersey Shore fostered the love I have for the marine environment. Because of this, I developed a strong desire to learn all that I could about this particular environment and thus protect it. Through the course of my studies in both high school and college, I began to better understand the interplay that exists between all organisms and how one change can greatly impact their environment. It was because of this that I decided to major in biology at Quinnipiac University and minor in chemistry, Spanish, and microbiology.

As an undergraduate at Quinnipiac University, my ultimate goal was intertwining my love for advocacy and science, specifically marine biology. Serving as Vice President of the Class of 2013 for my junior and senior year, I learned the importance of reaching out to my peers to learn their opinions and advocate on behalf of them. As a co-leader for my biology research team, I studied the environmental impacts of pollutants, BBP and acetone, on a local fish species. I also was fortunate enough to intern at the Dolphin Communication Project in Stonington, CT where I researched the social behavior and acoustic interchange between a dolphin species under the guidance of Dr. Kathleen Dudzinski. With my love for science and advocacy evident, the Clean Ocean Action allows me to link the two in order to protect the environment that I have so dutifully studied.


In the future, I would love to further my education and obtain my PhD in Marine Biology and Marine Policy. Clean Ocean Action will provide me with the opportunities to continue my learning and support me in my future endeavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment